5.3K views

I have been an HEB customer for over 20 years. I first experienced the HEB on Brodie and William Cannon in South Austin.

I now shop at our local HEB in Dripping Springs. One of the first wonderful things I noticed about HEB was that their brands (HEB and Hill Country Fare) were actually better and cheaper than most of the name brands. We began buying HEB seasoned fajita meat, chili, breakfast sausage, and ridged chips. The first product we noticed that changed in quality was their fajita meat.

They began using the worst parts of the meat and began putting less and less seasoning. Then, we began to notice that their canned chili began became less and less meaty and more greasy. The last time we opened a can, it was inedible. It smelled like dog food.

The next HEB brand item that went south, in our opinion, was the breakfast sausage. It used to be quite lean and meaty. Something is being added to this product, because it does not taste right and is not cooking correctly. The texture has changed.

I would like to have it tested for quality, as I'm afraid it would not pass. Next, we noticed their chips began tasting fake and stale. We had to throw a brand new bag away after making sure it wasn't just my taste buds. Again, something is being added to this brand that was not being added before.

I am having to go back to buying the name brand products such as Wolf Brand, Owens, and Ruffles, because their quality is SO MUCH higher. Unfortunately, HEB's plan is to slowly get rid of all of these brands and only provide their brand. As many of you have noticed, the large name brands are being placed on the bottom shelf or the top shelf so that these products are not easily visible. They are also ordering less and less of these products so that we will not have an option.

I am very disappointed in HEB and their quality.

If I had an option, I would shop elsewhere. My wish is that HEB will go back to standing by their quality, or at least, provide the name brands that do.

Review about: Heb Fajita.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Comments

Yeah I used to love the steaks. However about a month ago I bought some steaks and got home and when I separated the steaks for some reason where they were touching the meat was brownish Grey and it smells sour and I cooked one and it tasted horrible in the date was good so I think it was left in a warm area.

So I took it back they gave me new Stakes and it was the same problem so I took those back and got my money back and waited about three weeks and bought the same steaks again and it had the same problem. So I stopped buying those cuts of steaks and I bought a T-bone and I have the same problem the meat was dark brownish Grey and it was soggy and some areas and actually falling apart. So disappointed in my HEB.

They've always been known for having such a great food. I've always been very proud of HEB but I'm afraid that's changing

It is true that hill country fair products have fallen in quality, so, I just don't buy them anymore!

I agree! But WHY are you all writing reviews, companies if at all, don't read these posts.

CALL THEM, TELL THEM how lousy and disgusting their products have become and are.That' what I am doing.

I tell them straight up. Consumers have a right to get good quality for our money.

to Julia R Temple TX #1563296

You realize you’re demanding better quality for a lower than name brand price and unfortunately that’s not how it works. You have to pay for the quality you want.

Why did HEB (hill country fare) discontinue the sandwich cookies!! The echo brand they replaced them with is HORRIBLE!

I now have to go to a store further from my home to purchase everyday items in larger sizes. Dog and cat food for instance.

More and more name brands are disappearing from the shelves. I don’t care for Hill Country Fare. It is far inferior to name brands in my opinion.

When I purchase green beans that’s what I expect.

Not a canful of stems.

HCF corn is also tough.

I just feel the overall quality of store brand foods sucks.

Austin, Texas, United States #1317919

even hill country grits are horrible, how do you screw up grits?

Austin, Texas, United States #1317918

HEB has cornered the food market in Austin Texas so my only choice is walmart or HEB.

Unfortunately HEB has replaced most name brand with their inferior hill country brand.

I refuse to purchase anything that is hill country, however I know that eventually HEB will replace everything with their brand.

to Anonymous #1507478

I believe that if they do that, they will go bankrupt and deserve it

I buy Hill Country Fare Jalapeno and Cream Cheese Bites because they're cheap and taste very good (though they could stand to have more jalapenos in them). But I have also noticed that no one pays attention when packaging them.

More often then not I find between 4-6 bites in the bag when there should be 8. I guess that's why a serving size is 4, but they put "ABOUT 2" under "servings per container".

Having the same issue with the HCF frozen chicken *** in a bag

My wife bought tamales at HEB in Hillsboro. They were the most pathetic excuse for tamales I ever had.

We are from Harlingen and now live in Plano.

That is too far to return them, our Christmas tamales. We will NEVER anything from HEB with the Hill Country Fare.

San Antonio, Texas, United States #1176518

Today I opened an ice cream bar and the Popsicle stick was broken inside and I swallowed tiny pieces of wood from the stick with I can still feel lodged in my throat. This was my first time eating the ice cream bars I buy for my 4 year old son...never again!! I didn't find any contact info on the box either.

The strawberry jam and the strawberry preserves are one in the same now. If I wanted strawberry jam I would buy strawberry jam. I'm going back to Smuckers!

I AGREE! WE OPENED TWO CANS OF MIXED VEGETABLES, THEY ONLY HAD ONE GREEN BEAN IN EACH CAN, NO CELERY, A COUPLE OF LIMA BEANS, MAYBE 10 PEAS & ALSO MORE CARROTS THEN I CAN RAISE IN MY GARDEN.

I agree.

#1022030

If you have a problem with the qaulity go else where . common sense

to Anonymous #1222449

Lern how to spel It's qualitydedavi

to Idontgivearats*** #1266755

Oh my God, learn how to spell you too, you crazy loco!

The hill country fare refried beans are watery as ever now they used to not be so bad they suck then have to go back to buy name brand HEB what's going on with y'all